Helping you manage the changing face of life
First meeting and consultation
Typically we begin the initial consultation by asking questions about who you are, including:
- Background on you and your family
- Your current assets and liabilities
- Sources of income, including salary, pensions, and trusts
- Major expenses, including annual living expenses, housing and education
- Income taxes and inheritance taxes
- Your investment experience, current and historical
- Your tolerance for risk and sensitivity to volatility
- Your familiarity with different investment areas and vehicles
Then we present an overview of Avalon: who we are, and our investment approach. By the end of the first meeting, we should have a detailed understanding of your background, your investment experience and your goals. You should have a thorough introduction to how we work with you to design and manage an investment portfolio that will meet your needs.
Putting it all together
In the second meeting we present a detailed analysis of your goals. We begin with a review of your current assets and expenses. Then we look at multiple scenarios to understand the impact that changes in investment returns, living expenses and inflation will have on your goals. The purpose of this process is to determine whether you have sufficient assets to meet the personal and financial goals you have set.
The next step is to look at the historical performance of the asset classes used in designing portfolios. We propose multiple portfolio combinations of these asset classes based on the information we gathered about you in the initial consultation. From this process you gain knowledge about expected returns and can articulate your sensitivity to the risk and volatility associated with those returns. We further refine our understanding of the asset allocation that is right for you.
By the end of the second meeting we have a good understanding of who you are, what you want your money to do, your temperament and your ability to deal with risk. You reach a decision about which of our recommended investment strategies achieves the best balance between what makes you comfortable and what makes good investment sense.
An ongoing relationship
As a client you benefit from the following services:
- Communication and investment counseling that responds to where you are today and where you are heading
- A personalized investment portfolio
- In-house investment research and expertise
- Complete administration of your account setup and investment transfers
- Written communication through regular quarterly mailings that include an update on our strategy and outlook, your current portfolio strategy and performance history
- Ongoing consultations with you at your discretion, either in meetings, by e-mail , by phone or by video conference
- Coordination with your other professionals in the areas of income tax planning and reporting, trust and estate planning, stock option strategy, 529 planning, and mortgage refinancing